In her novel, Pollyanna, Eleanor H. Porter wrote
“There is something about everything that you can be glad about if you keep hunting long enough to find it.”
Life certainly has its challenges, but it’s a lot more satisfying when you choose to face the ups and downs with a smile. Continue reading to learn how to keep your chin up, and why doing so matters in life.
Two sales people were sent to an island to sell shoes. Upon arriving, the first disappointedly sent a telegram back to the office. “Will return home tomorrow,” the sales person wrote “no one here wears shoes.” The second confronted with the same scenario, joyfully telegraphed back “please send me 10,000 shoes everyone here needs them!” Both sales people contemplated the same situation through completely different eyes. Clearly, the second was able to look on the bright side of things. He possesses the trait that, combined with hard work, always leads to growth and success.
A positive attitude. But what is attitude anyway? Simply put, it’s the way you communicate your mood to others. In a deeper sense, it’s the way you see the world or in fact the way you choose to see the world. Because fortunately, having a positive attitude is a choice. Of course no one can have a perfectly positive mental attitude all the time as things go wrong.
Sometimes your daily appointments get canceled, rejection comes your way, and daily problems arise. Negative thoughts start to alter your perspective, and if you continually let the negative all-around takeover, you’ll find yourself developing a chronically negative attitude, which weakens the spirit, produces energy and saps enthusiasm for both yourself and those around you.
Here’s something to keep in mind, just as a cold or flu virus can be spread to others, so can Attitude. Studies have shown, that mood is actually contagious. In one study, individuals in work teams began passing their moods to others within two hours. What’s even more fascinating about this phenomenon known as emotional contagion is that leaders moods hold particular sway over their team members. So what does this mean to you as a leader or aspiring leader in your organization? You have tremendous power to influence the performance of your team. One of the most effective ways to successfully lead your organization is to be simply positive.
In short, think of yourself as your organizations CHO- Chief Happiness Officer. You can draw on inspiration from other leaders you know whose positivity influences their organizations for the better. Take a look at what researchers have discovered about the power of leader’s moods. Leaders are more likely to transmit their moods to team members, and vice versa. Those who interact with belated enthusiastic or excited leaders are more positive than those who interact with distressed, hostile or nervous leaders. Groups with positive leaders exhibit better coordination than groups with negative leaders. When leaders’ moods are positive, their team’s optimism, goal commitment, creativity, and efficiency and overall performance is better.
One study of Taiwan’s retail insurance industry found that positive moods in leaders resulted in an increase in individual and team commissions.
Tips for Staying Positive Throughout Your Life
There are things you can do to cultivate a positive mental attitude despite the challenges that will surely arise. Here are some practical suggestions to help you and your team members look on the bright side of life, and find the strength to get up each time you fall.
- Be Grateful. Gratitude is a virtue that helps you focus on the good things in life, and see the bigger picture. When you concentrate on what matters most, your perspective widens from the tree in front of you until you see the whole forest. Even through rough times, there are many things you can be thankful for. Make it a daily habit to identify specific things you’re grateful for doing. This will help you cultivate a positive attitude as you train your mind to focus on the good things in life.
- Make Humor Part of Your Daily Life. Laughter and a good sense of humor are key elements of a positive attitude. They reduce stress and anxiety. They strengthen relationships, and they elevate mood and hope. When you feel low, turn to comic strips of funny sitcom, online jokes. Whatever makes you laugh. look on the lighter side of things in your daily activities. Humor will help you keep the more optimistic view of life.
- Inspiring Books. Always keep a positive inspiring book on hand when you’re feeling down. Turn to a motivational passage, and give yourself a quick boost. Good books can inspire, encourage, and teach you. Also, reading requires you to stay still and focusing on something uplifting will help you maintain a positive attitude.
- Exercise. Besides providing undeniable benefits to your physical health, exercise can also make a difference for mental health. Researchers have found that exercise combats stress and depression and improving mood and attitude. Also don’t overlook the connection between yourself looking good and feeling good. Imagine a positive attitude when you feel and look well physically you gain confidence, and see things with more optimistic eyes.
- Give Service. There’s something magical about helping others in need. It causes you to forget your own problems and your motive becomes their wellness. Right around the next time you’re stuck in a “all about me” mindset, put this principle to the test. You’ll find there’s great euphoria in doing something to bless the life of another without any thought or expectation of a reward.
The power of a positive mental attitude each day brings new challenges that demand the best of you, and the way you choose to base that will determine much of your growth. Success and happiness, cultivating the gift of a positive attitude, will change your perspective and help you see your goals more clearly. You’ll surely make life more enjoyable. Do it for yourself and those around you. Remember it’s your choice to choose to look on the bright side!
In the essence of number 2. and making humor a part of life, check out my video “MLM Spoof” starring J & Tin Man for a nice cheesy laugh.